- Videos, some of which have been verified, to show Ukrainian army execution of Russian prisoners of war† The Ukrainian presidency promises that those responsible will be brought to justice, but some officials are more ambiguous.
- The European Union (EU) decided on Thursday to impose an embargo on Russian coal, which will take effect in early August, and the closure of European ports to Russian ships, as part of a fifth round of sanctions against Moscow. At the same time, the EU has offered to increase funding for arms supplies to Ukraine by EUR 500 million, which would increase to a total of EUR 1.5 billion since the invasion began.
- The UN General Assembly, comprising 193 member states, suspended Russia on Thursday from its seat on the United Nations Human Rights Council. Moscow denounced a suspension “illegal and politically motivated, aimed at ostentatiously punishing a sovereign UN member state that conducts an independent foreign and domestic policy”and decided on a “expected termination” of this advice.
- the “new mayor” proclaimed by pro-Russian troops in MariupolKostiantyn Ivashchenko, announced that:“about 5,000 people” had died among the civilian population of this Ukrainian city, which had been besieged for weeks by the Russian army and its separatist allies. The estimates of the Ukrainian authorities are higher.
- Twenty-six bodies were recovered from the rubble of two bombed apartment buildings by Ukrainian rescuers Borodyanka, northwest of Kyiv. The situation in this city has been described by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky as: “much more terrible” than in Boutcha, where mass murders of civilians were committed.
- Russian troops have slackened their grip on all sides Kiev in recent days with a view to a concentration of the Russian offensive in eastern Ukraine, Moscow said. The next few days will be for citizens in the east of the country ” the last chance “ to evacuate the area, local authorities warned on Thursday.
- The President of the European Commission, Ursula VanderLeyen, travels to Kiev on Friday for his . to express “unwavering support” to Ukraine in its fight against the Russian invasion. The Commission announced this visit in the company of the European Union’s Head of Diplomacy, Josep Borrell. Above all, they should meet the Ukrainian president.
- Moscow recognized “significant losses” deployed within its army in Ukraine, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, without quantifying them. “It’s a huge tragedy for us”he complained.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
decodings. Ukrainian troops accused of abuses against Russian soldiers
Report. Georgians identify with Ukrainians and criticize their government
Story. Switzerland, bunker world champion
decodings. European imbroglio around Morozov .’s art collection
Report. Tour de France of initiatives in favor of Ukrainian refugees
Video. In Boutcha, the streets turned into an open-air graveyard
you can find our life yesterday on this link
“Why isn’t my question published? “: how “Le Monde” manages contributions in live follow-ups